Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  
Chrisbi's Forum
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 53 mal aufgerufen
 HTML
panxing18 Offline

03.04.2019 03:25
John Gibbons wasn’t sure he had the energy to oversee a rebuild Antworten

TORONTO (AP) — in Toronto http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-orlando-arcia-jersey , so he’s moving on from his job as manager of the Blue Jays at the end of the season.“We are going to have a new voice. We are going to have a new approach,” general manager Ross Atkins said before Wednesday’s home final against Houston.The 56-year-old Gibbons has one season left in a two-year extension he received in April 2017.“I’ve been here a long time and I agree it’s probably time for a change,” Gibbons said. “We’re rebuilding here, and actually I think I’m the perfect guy for a rebuild. But I don’t know if I have the energy, necessarily.”Outfielder Kevin Pillar, the longest-tenured Blue Jays player, stood at the back of a packed news conference to hear the announcement in person. Gibbons received a standing ovation when he brought the lineup card out to home plate before the game. He acknowledged the crowd with a wave and a tip of his cap.Atkins said Gibbons can decide whether to take a new role in the organization. Gibbons didn’t rule that out, but also said he’d like to manage in the big leagues again.“These jobs are hard to come by,” he said. “But we’ll see. It’s not going to destroy me if I don’t. But time is on my side Robin Yount Jersey , age-wise, I think. I’d like to try it again.”Gibbons is 791-787 in 11 seasons during two stints managing Toronto, his 1,578 games second only to Cito Gaston’s 1,764. Gibbons also trails Gaston (913) in career wins with Toronto.Gibbons replaced Carlos Tosca in August 2004, was fired in June 2008 and returned ahead of the 2013 season.Two years later, the Blue Jays won the AL East and ended a 22-year postseason drought, buoyed by the addition of slugger Josh Donaldson. They lost the AL Championship Series in six games against Kansas City, which went on the win the World Series.“We finally became relevant in baseball again http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-orlando-arcia-jersey ,” Gibbons said. “It had been a long time.”A wild-card winner in 2016, the Blue Jays lost to Cleveland in a five-game championship series.Gibbons feared me might lose his job when former GM Alex Anthoplouos left the Blue Jays at the end of 2015 and Mark Shapiro became president, bringing Atkins on as GM.“To be honest with you, I thought I was probably gone then,” Gibbons said. “I can’t thank (Atkins) enough for keeping me around. That doesn’t always happen. He put a lot of money in my pocket. That’s not bad, either.”Atkins said he will discuss the future of Toronto’s coaches this the weekend as the Blue Jays finish the season with three games at Tampa Bay.In between his stints with the Blue Jays, Gibbons served three seasons as a bench coach with the Royals, working alongside managers Trey Hillman and Ned Yost. Gibbons also spent one season managing his hometown team, the Double-A San Antonio Missions http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-orlando-arcia-jersey , a minor league team in the San Diego Padres organization.A first-round draft pick by the New York Mets in 1980, Gibbons hit .220 with one home run and two RBIs in 18 career games as a catcher, eight of them in New York’s World Series-winning season in 1986. He became a minor league instructor in 1991 and got his first managerial job with the Mets’ Appalachian League team in 1995.Gibbons is the second big league manager to lose his job this month. Texas fired Jeff Banister last Friday.Before the game, Toronto Mayor John Tory issued a statement declaring Sept. 26, 2018, to be ‘John Gibbons Day’ in the city. Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan honoured his sporting colleague too, sending a jersey with Gibbons’ name and number 5 to the departing manager. NEW YORK (AP) — Left-hander Justus Sheffield was put on the roster by the New York Yankees and could make his major league debut this week.The 22-year-old Sheffield was 6-4 with a 2.56 ERA in 15 starts and five relief appearances for Triple-A Scranton Wilkes/Barre this year after going 1-2 with a 2.25 ERA in five starts for Double-A Trenton. New York moved him to the bullpen in late August as preparation for a possible callup as a reliever.“I know that early on it was kind of rocky just because getting the routine down was a little hard,” Sheffield said of the bullpen move. “But I’m feeling comfortable.”Sheffield was selected by Cleveland with the 31st overall pick in the 2014 amateur draft and was acquired by the Yankees in the July 2016 trade that sent left-hander Andrew Miller to the Indians.“He’s someone that potentially gives us a little bit of length,” manager Aaron Boone said. “He’s not built up like he was a starter for most of the season Christian Yelich Jersey , but he’s still a guy that we feel like could give us a couple of innings if we needed it.”Outfielder Clint Frazier, also obtained by New York in that trade, was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open a spot for Sheffield, whose contract was selected to the 40-man roster. Frazier has been bothered by a concussion since spring training.New York also recalled right-hander Domingo German from Scranton before Tuesday’s series opener against Boston.

Sprung  
Chrisbi's Forum
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz